Sunday, December 19, 2010

Cooking - Homemade Potato Soup

One of the things I used to love to do was play in the kitchen. I would throw together all sorts of things, see what happened and then afterward (whether I failed or succeeded) THEN do research online. I wanted to make something my OWN.

I remember making a cream cheese based sauce that was divine, it would blow an artery out, but it was delicious. My specialty has always been desserts (go figure!), but today I had some potatoes leftover and realized I had never made potato soup!

So, realizing I had nothing to lose (except some potatoes and soup) I set about "playing" again. Here is my recipe followed up with links to other recipes (that after I started mine cooking, I took bits and pieces from).


Muses Potato Soup
*9 potatoes mostly medium size though there were a few small ones (cut as cubed as possible lol though mostly in thin quarters)
*3 cans of cream of mushroom soup (3 cans of milk as well)
*2 tablespoons fresh garlic
*5 cups of water
*3 tablespoons of butter
*1 cup chopped carrots
*4 celery stalks (without leaves) diced up
*1 Onion diced
*dried parsley
*Chicken Bouillon (5 cubes?)
*1/2c Flour (Still waiting to see if I need to thicken it up, if I do this and the 1/2 & 1/2 will be used)
*2c half and half
*shredded cheese (for garnish)

Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker and turn it on high for three to 4 hours (or low for 6-7 hours).

Now, I'm just waiting. So i thought I'd look into other people's recipes. Most of them use chicken bouillon for their base and water (I used cream of mushroom...ooops), but they all added flour and half and half as a mixture to thicken it up. I may have to do that closer to the end, I just don't know how the creamy soup will thicken up in cooking. I called for reinforcements because I could really see the flavor of onion in it and sent my mom to the store for an onion, some dried parsley and a few chicken bouillon cubes.

Was it a success? We just don't know yet. But I can tell you two things: 1. it smells divine cooking and 2. This was fun.

Other recipes:
Joe's Potato Soup for the Slow Cooker
Rick Davidson Slow Cooker Potato Soup
Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Soup

No comments:

This is 47

In my acquired wisdom I've accepted: 1. That it's OK to admit I like girly things 2. That it's OK I didn't post this ON...