Thursday, June 28, 2007

Vacation Memories

My hand gripped the door handle and all I could think of was “I’m on vacation!” The trip had begun without a hitch thus far as we sat in the car driving (rocketing :P) towards our destination 7 hours away.

Then the bomb fell (insert dramatic music here). Google man turned to look at me and said these dreaded words “You need to navigate”.

“What? You DO know who you’re talking to right?”

So yours truly, directionally challenged and all, got a quick cliff notes version on how to read a map folks. That’s it, hell has truly frozen over, the muse provided directions (good ones at that)! Well, short of that small bump in the road in the beginning, our drive was smooth.

7 hours later we arrived in the sleepy little cabin area that is called “Tall Pines Resort”. Dotted all over the lakefront area are these cabins, (two bedrooms, small kitchen area, and living room) and docks everywhere. Immediately one takes in the forgotten sounds of nature; frogs in the afternoon heat, birds of all kind chatting to each other, crickets etc.

Stepping onto the deck of the cabin we were to stay in, it took me a few moments to adjust to the heat. But once I did, I sat down and immediately all the tension I felt over health worries, moving, money, literally just drained right out of me. How could it have stayed?

We met some really down to earth & funny people. We had so much fun on the pontoon boat (especially after I made Google man swear he wasn’t going to kill me with his driving on the boat! I swore I would haunt his family if he killed me :P)

But it wasn’t really until I was on the boat standing at the front watching the open lake, smelling the air as it whipped through my hair, and feeling the splash of the water against my skin, that I felt completely at home. With my Ipod firmly attached, Enya took the perfect opportunity to play “Water Shows the Hidden Heart” and it was a ride of pure bliss. The music, the air, the eagles, the water; I very nearly cried with happiness.

Bits of poetry came to mind, images sprang to life as they began to paint themselves in my memory & I soaked all I could in, so I could archive every second of it in my hall of “great moments lived”. I learned right there, what it was to be living in the moment, the lesson I had been striving to learn for some time.

And so I did live in the moment...

Packing seemed so far away, health concerns were non existent, and the child in me came out to play. It was a glorious time, one I shall never forget, and definitely EXACTLY what the Dr. Ordered for me…

(pics below)

I am so blessed for the experience I had, the company I kept, the peace I felt. Just as you, are a blessing to me as well…everyday.

Be well friends.


Rock Formations line the highway as we drive on....




Signs of the country abound...




Almost there!




At last, 7 hours later we reach our destination...




The moon makes her presence known early into the night...




Greenery, Nature, Loving it!




Heading out of the dock, on the pontoon boat, a water lily floats nearby...




Houses flank the shore, summer home delight!




Talk about a peaceful place to rest!



Amazing treeline!


Sparkling, like diamonds, the water is soooo inviting...


So close you could just touch it....(And I did! I swam in it :P)



Back on land, the flowers stand tall...



Look closely! do you see the frog?



Dragonflies are everywhere!



Sometimes they even darted close enough that I could take their picture...



The most majestic, regal bird I have ever seen, the Bald Eagle. (Sorry it's not a better shot, he never really got too close, though I got to see him close with binoculars... It took my breath away)



Second attempt to take his picture, better, but not the best...





The approaching sunset kisses the water in the sleepy little resort area...I didn't want to leave




And on our way home, we are greeted by a sunburst with gorgeous long rays. The sun stretches her arms far, and warmth reaches all.


Hope you enjoyed the pics!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself. You deserved the break!

Grahamburger said...

I'm still stuck on the part where you gave directions.

YOU??? Gave directions??

Hon, you could barely give directions to a lot in TSO! :P

Sounds like the vacation was just what you needed, and you definitely earned it! :)

Anonymous said...

aww it sounds (and looks!) like you had an amazing time!! i'm so happy for you (:. the last two pictures are my favorite. ty for sharing :D.

love you.

This is 47

In my acquired wisdom I've accepted: 1. That it's OK to admit I like girly things 2. That it's OK I didn't post this ON...