Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Weight loss & Promises not kept

A year ago I made myself a promise. A promise I didn’t uphold. I was reaching a point medically where I knew something was wrong but hadn’t really begun the journey that led me yet to find out about my cancer. I knew however that everything started with weight loss. So I told myself:

“I’ll give myself one year. If in that one year I am not at least on a good track towards losing weight, I will have surgery to finally end this struggle.”

Man how time flies?

A year later, having been diagnosed with cancer and having a very expensive surgery to save my life, I find that this promise made, had been forgotten about. So what do we do when we fail? We try again. Armed with the tools listed below, and a motivation that I hope remains (accelerated due to the 40lbs lost after my surgery), I endeavor again to continue on a path of weight loss.

We begin today. Starting today I will make the same promise, slightly extended to be healthy.
"By 9-21-2008, I will lose xxx amount of pounds. "

Wish me luck.

Oh and if you want to be a motivator for me, I do have a profile on Traineo (see below) and could use 4 motivators. If you’re interested email me at suekw71 @ gmail.com (remove the spaces) and let me know. Being a motivator means unbiased, loving, supportive & helpful. Not everyone who may email me will be chosen to be a motivator; I simply am inviting anyone who wishes to help to do so.

~*~

So, I’ve found some really great sites to help me lose weight. I’ll try to list them all so you can benefit from them too.

The Lose Weight Diet – An informational, basic, easy to understand site on weightloss. They provided for me the formula with which I learned how many calories LESS I need to eat per day to lose two pounds a week. Also full of good links to other sites like calorie calculators etc.

Urban legends; 8 Glasses of water per day - Interesting article on the myth surrounding the 8 glasses of water per day. I still follow this rule (because I’m dieting and it helps me stay full) but nonetheless an interesting read.

Traineo – A very nice site, free, which allows you to track loss, have motivators; people to support you (of your choice), keep your information private and did I mention free?

The Hackers Diet – For those of a more technical nature, this is where I started my journey today. This has some good approach ideas (for me anyway) but also has some good computerized tips too for all those computer geeks ;) (like me!)

Log your weight – A cool little script that works with Excel in keeping track of your weight. You can follow the instructions and have this run everyday automatically for you or just do it manually. Puts the numbers in Excel and lets you see the progress.

Mindless Eating – I didn’t really go through this whole site, but I did take the Mindless Eating quiz. It is full of information you might not normally think of. Worth a read for sure.

Calorie King – A very informative site providing calories and nutrient information for just about any food you can eat.

And the best site I came across today.

FitDay – a nice site that allows you to track daily your caloric and nutrient intake. You can purchase the PC version for $29.95, ($19.95 with discount after creating a free online account). I’ve used it today and WOW was I surprised at the food I had already consumed this morning and what it meant as far as planning the rest of my day out. I HIGHLY recommend this site to folks. It makes tracking and calculating a snap (which is what I need).

Carpe Diem

~*~*~*~*~*~
WELL WISHES
May you know the joy of determination today. May it guide you in what you know you need to do but haven’t yet done or are afraid to do. May the sense of accomplishment help reward you in the best possible way and get you to your goals.

You are a blessing to me everyday.

XO
Muse

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I know what you can accomplish when you really set your mind to it.

Suzie Ridler said...

Focus on all the advances you've made! It's incredible how in one year you are completely transformed and no longer in harm's way. That's the important part.

Anonymous said...

good luck hon, if you need some support,drop me a line anytime.



Mr. Uber

This is 47

In my acquired wisdom I've accepted: 1. That it's OK to admit I like girly things 2. That it's OK I didn't post this ON...