Friday, March 17, 2006

Mr. M Scores Coffee w/promises of Bongos & Poetry

Friday, thank goodness. It’s been an interesting week for sure. It’s been two days since I published in this blog too *gasp*. Oh the horror, the shame! I’m sure you were all just HANGING on my next blog entry weren’t you :P

Now for the news of the day:

I HAVE A DATE!

Yup, the unthinkable has occurred. Someone asked me out and I said yes; though not without a minor change, of course. Mr. M responded to my yahoo ad, and was very nice. When we spoke in yahoo it was as expected for a first time meeting, both uncomfortable and new. We spoke for about an hour when he asked me to dinner (Woohoo!). I politely turned him down in favor instead of a less formal coffee luncheon. Well Mr. M, I truly do hope you live up to your promise of playing the bongos while reading my poetry. I would be totally in awe of a bongo playing poetry reading man. Now, THERE”S something you don’t see everyday :P

In all seriousness though, getting past the relative excitement of this, as Mr. Uber can attest to (he was on the phone with me when this set in) we now sit squarely in the lap of fear lol In my life (meaning the past 20 years of it or so), I’ve been on one quasi type date. Beyond that one dinner (which was really closure for someone from my past – not a date, and even THAT was two years ago) I haven’t been on a date in 16 years! My goodness!

Let’s think about that, when I last went on a date the internet hadn’t even been born (August of 1991 CERN in Switzerland publicized the new World Wide Web project). The Gulf War was just beginning thanks to Sadam Husein's invasion of Kuwait. Grunge as a fashion was just beginning, while Designers including Liz Claiborne, DKNY, and Tommy Hilfinger with their casual fashions, helped dress down Fridays became commonplace. In music, among many other new styles hitting the top 40 country was going mainstream even more, Selena was still alive and was the top Latin singer (her untimely death was in 1995), and Mariah Carey (Mariah SCAREY as I refer to her) and Boyz II Men led the charts with “One Sweet Day” .

(Thanks to the Kingwood College Library’s report on American Cultural History – years: 1990-1999 for all the above informational tidbits, and to wikipedia for confirming dates of things so I don’t look stupid in this post :P)

Aside from cultural changes, what I was doing and thinking about was getting used to having moved from Calumet City where I grew up to joining the ranks of those living in the ritzier suburb of “Naperville”. I didn’t know it at the time, but the person I had become close to (my sister) when we moved, would soon be taken from me. The man I had met while working in a part time job at the library would become my future husband, and this whole time I had no concept of dating. I had no need to worry about dating or finding someone to date me, people just came to me. I kid you not. At this time in my life I was doing modeling, (plus sized modeling) and I could care less if people liked me or not. It just turned out that most did… I was fortunate.

Now, I sit here in total reflection and wonder wow, what the heck am I going to do. I hadn’t really thought of this aspect of dating. What to say? What to do? For the first time ever, *I* have date jitters. Wish me luck dear readers; this could be a total tank due to my inexperience.

It’s strange to be on the short end of uncomfortable where most people normally reside in this situation. I’ve not had to worry like this. I’ve always been confident in public, especially on dates where it was someone else’s loss if things didn’t work out. Now my self esteem is shattered and sitting on the floor in well polished, fractured pieces. Now, I have a lot to lose if my confident inner woman doesn’t re-appear and quickly.

Maybe I’ll get lucky and she’ll come back from vacation in time for tomorrow’s coffee. Perhaps I shall bribe her.

“I have candy…lots of candy, AND avocados”.

*****
Well Wishes...
Today I wish everyone a happy St. Patrick’s Day. May your glasses be full, your drinks be good, and your loves be even better.

*****
And Remember:

May the Irish hills caress you. May her lakes and rivers bless you. May the luck of the Irish enfold you and may the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NO WORRIES. :) just be you! How can anyone NOT like you :)

You are intelligent, witty, and your smile is brighter than the Sun.

Best of luck to you. Always remember that this is just a "hi, how are ya" kind of thing :) if it doesn't work out... C'est La Vie....

Mr. Serenade

This is 47

In my acquired wisdom I've accepted: 1. That it's OK to admit I like girly things 2. That it's OK I didn't post this ON...