Thursday, August 10, 2006

Ok MAJOR Rant

Fear not, I will post some light later. But for now, I'm going to take a step out of my ordinary pose and offer how *I* feel on certain current events...

**********

We live in a mad, mad world. It amazes me that right next to the articles showing arrests of terrorist and thwarting the use of planes as weapons…AGAIN (Remember 9/11? Or has time softened that memory); there is also a picture of Mel Gibson and how a tabloid alleges he has a shady past.

GET REAL PEOPLE!

Look, I believe wholeheartedly that being famous thrusts you into the position of a role model. As people with a conscience, we have a responsibility to educate and help others, ESPECIALLY if we have the ability to make a staggering difference by simply being who we are.

But no one is perfect.

I’m not condoning his racial slurs, but I am saying there are FAR more important things going on in the world today that DEMAND our attention. And yet, the most read articles so far this morning are about Mel Gibson. Someone wants to put up a billboard against him; the tabloids allege he has a dark past, etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone mysteriously appears with some story of how he abused her or whatever soon.

We are such gossip mongers. (Not all of us but too many are). Are our lives really that boring that seeing the suffering and/or destruction of another’s life and calling it art or media makes us feel that much better? We are no better in that case than the bullies on the grade school playground; we’re just adults with media toys that are legal and intent that is perverted enough to think that flooding people with these things has some sort of “truth” effect (The people have a right to know. Right, and to know and to know and to know... God, ENOUGH!). All it is is a means to make money at other people’s expense.

Knowing this and seeing this, sometimes makes offering happiness and light feel like such an uphill battle. No matter what the “little” people like myself try to do, I feel sometimes as if I can’t paste enough messages in enough places. Even if I put these messages in blinking NEON I think they would still would be passed off as simple fluff; the meanderings of someone who’s not intelligent, not concerned or otherwise just stupid. Man, I know we all have opinions, I know we’re all unique, I know we’re all special, but can’t we embrace that about each other? Can’t we share that? Cant’ we be human and make mistakes? Can’t we respect someone’s mistake, accept their very public apology and move on? Even in the case of presidents who make HUGE mistakes. They’re role models too but they’re human. How many hundreds of people have face situations like that one? They’re not plastered all over the world… It seems as if the world eagerly awaits the newest scapegoat going along with mad delight at seeing people’s lives torn apart over something stupid. It’s like a drug and just like any drug, you have to use more to sustain the high. The world needs a new “drug” so who’s next?

I hope someday soon before we tear ourselves apart in this frenzy of bad behavior, that we wake up because sometimes it gets harder and harder for me to spread joy with so much filth around.

/rant off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I love the way you express my thoughts so eloquently lol!

This is 47

In my acquired wisdom I've accepted: 1. That it's OK to admit I like girly things 2. That it's OK I didn't post this ON...