Monday, August 07, 2006

Think before you speak (Poetry Thursday Post)

In the back of my mind the cautionary feeling sits
Blinking it's warning.
Still, unfazed I continue on my tirade
without thought to what's coming out

Later clarity sets in calmly
unlike the utterance of words earlier
Crystal clear do I see the words uttered
Suspended in the eerie glow of time past

I reach out to touch the words
That should have been said
They shimmer like the mirage out of my reach
Taunting, serving as reminder

To think before I next speak.

©SKW

For my Poetry Thursday Post

5 comments:

Sir Dirty Joke said...

I like your style.

Anonymous said...

I like the image of a mirage.

I think we all have moments like the one you describe.

mareymercy said...

Shimmering, simmering, those things we should not have said. Think before we speak, indeed.

Jana B said...

Love the poem! Makes me think of the times after an arguement, when I sit alone, remembering all the things I wish I hadn't said.

KL said...

I love this poem and would love to send it to my mother. (sigh)

(((smile)))
K

This is 47

In my acquired wisdom I've accepted: 1. That it's OK to admit I like girly things 2. That it's OK I didn't post this ON...