Wednesday, April 12, 2006

My Cherie...

Cherie,

The weather is hot here today. The sun shines down so fiercely it’s as if the gods themselves are unleashing their fury in a heat wave. The locals almost believe that nonsense.

The jungles are redolent with the smell of jasmine and moss. A strange combination that entices the senses and draws one in further I dare say. It almost has magnetism so strong that one could literally sit among the foliage and daydream all day and get nothing done. But the Amazon Jungle is a dangerous place as well and caution must be exerted to prevent the local natives from thinking we’re pilfering from their lands.

In our searching, many new species of plants are being found everyday. Most are simply lovely and prove to be ample in their offerings for medical treatments and such. We work from 8am until almost 6pm everyday. The work keeps me busy and the heat leaves me tired.

At night though, when the silver moon hangs suspended from the sky, I hang my cares upon its crescent and think of you. How fairs life in England? Do you still practice your writing? The students you teach must realize what a wonderful governess they have. Surely if they do not, I know.

I plucked a flower today from the maze of flora we stumbled across. It was the most vibrant flower, with coloring of rose, coral, and yellow. The crew I am with announced upon stumbling on it, that it was a very rare type of orchid. It blooms only one week of the year and is indigenous in the Ampivacu river where it completely covers the banks of the river. It is said that the Yagua natives use it traditionally for their dyes. I can see why. Still though, as I stared at this exotic flower all I could think of was how much I miss you Cherie. These hot nights, cool mornings, and long days amplify the distant echoes of your voice as we parted our goodbyes. My arms still tingle from where you put your hand on my shoulder smiling at me in the sunlight. I wish that this flower, whose bright life is so very short, could somehow be prolonged so that you could see the rare beauty it has. I shall try to preserve it for you Cherie.

Tomorrow we travel up the river further in search of other plants that the natives will show us. My head is here with the crew, but my heart is back with you. Give my regards to the family. I shall pray to be free of this servitude so I may see you soon.

Longing for the sight of your beautiful eyes, I remain faithfully yours:
Clarence
©SKW

(Thoughts? If you read this, please post a response (Good, bad or otherwise)

*****
Yes a lot is going on with me; no I do not wish to post it. In lieu of my thoughts, I shall post my writing. Oh and I do have one thing to say.

DO NOT TALK ABOUT PEOPLE. IT HURTS NO MATTER WHAT.
Yea.

*****
AND REMEMBER:

"The most important single ingredient in the formula for success is knowing how to get along with people." Theodore Roosevelt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your writings. I can't wqait to see more of this one.

Anonymous said...

Very nice. You are doing a good job with presenting "the other side". Please don't stop ANY of your writing.

This is 47

In my acquired wisdom I've accepted: 1. That it's OK to admit I like girly things 2. That it's OK I didn't post this ON...