Friday, June 30, 2006

The concert will begin in 3 minutes...


Breathing shallow trying to be calm I look at the wooden floor of the stage. The heavy curtain of deep red moves to an unseen breeze stirring the dust from the floor. Behind me the musicians prep their papers, instruments in a hushed anticipation. I straighten my gown of spun gold, and smooth my brown hair even straighter, tucking an errant piece behind my ear. The audience chatters lightly to themselves, a laugh is heard and arm brushed by another is seen through the tiny gap in the curtain behind which I wait...

The lights do their dance of light to dark, telling the listeners the time has begun. As night overtakes day the whispers die down in the descending blackness of the room. Violins strike their single melody, holding, straining. Followed by various other instruments in a timeless melody, the music begins. And in that single moment before the curtain begins to open the air becomes charged. Charged with my fear, my excitement, my energy and the eyes of a thousand people all straining to see... me.

This is my stage and today I am the performer extraordinaire. And I will sing... I will sing so loud that God himself will look down, a tear in his eye in wonderment of the souls expression. I will feel the air course through my lungs filling me, awakening every fiber of my being. I will be both the artist and the work of art carefully crafted, lovingly displayed with such a spectacular hauntingly beautiful display that no museum can ever reproduce.

And when the first note seeks to exit my throat, I realize... THIS is where I should be. Right here... where I am free.

©SKW
*****
This mornings car ride was peppered with the enthusiasm of the fact that it's Friday and I'm off until Wednesday after today. YAY! The music was mystical transporting me to the stage again where once there I felt like I had in my teenage years where I understood EXACTLY why the radio needed to be so loud the world could hear it. As I turned the songs up louder today telling the world that I WAS HERE, I began to sing and this mornings' ride became one of magic instead of the mundane.

I love to sing. I sing all the time. Strangely enough though, I do not sing in the shower lol. But I sing everywhere else. I sing when I'm on the phone with people, I even sang on air when I owned my internet radio station. I sing when I clean I sing when I cook... But there is no singing quite like the concert I put on in my car.

The minute those doors close and after the silence settles around me, no matter if i'm going 5 minutes or 50 minutes I am on stage in my mind. And damn if I can't sing just as good as Mariah Scary oops I mean Cary ;) I can sing Green Day like no one's business, or JLo as if I had been duetting with her from the start. I can sing most artists, and as long as the song moves me I will sing it.

And if I don't know the words well I will make them up as I go along. I have no fear of sounding stupid... I'm the artist when I'm singing! ;)

Today I sang on the way to work, I finally got some sleep last night, and now i'm smiling. All is well with the world.

*****
WELL WISHES

May you sing with joy today even if only in your heart. May it set you free to soar to great heights and bring you much happiness. And if you can't sing if your spirit is down, then I'll sing for you because today I have enough to give :)

XO

*****
AND REMEMBER:

He who sings frightens away his ills.
Author: Cervantes (Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra)Source: Don Quixote (I, 22)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

See what happens when I don't phone you on the way to work! You sing! Hmmmf.
LOL

Anonymous said...

Psst.
I may or may not have some exciting Friday news for you. But I won't be on tonight if I do--you might have to wait until Sunday to hear it.

But, yes, Fridays are famazing.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that was me with the Friday news. :P

~Cray~

The Muse said...

Aussie_male it's all your fault today then! BAd crazy australian. Now you owe me MORE phone calls. I must hear that sexy accent!

Blog dog your comment made me laugh today. I actually had to bite my lip and in fact am still smiling over it :D Thank you!

Cray you BEST tell me what your friday news is. You know my phone number, you know my email, you know you can pm me, you an also yim me. You BETTER tell me :D Or I will hunt you down and cover you in muse dust and tickle you and make you raise your hand in the air while kicking your legs and shouting "666" at the top of your lungs like I did last year :P

Anonymous said...

I love that thought...he who sings frightens away all his ills. Muse, you and I are a lot alike when it comes to singing in the car, but I know I can't even touch Mariah! Have you ever gone to a piano bar? That's a fun place and better than karaoke.

Have an AMAZING 4 day weekend - xoxo

The Muse said...

Thanks Jules! I have gone to karaoke bars believe it or not (in my youth :P). Here's a little known tidbit about me. I went to a karaoke bar back in like 1995 with a friend of mine. The trick was to sing a Suzy Boggus song and sing it well enough to win two tickets to the Suzy Bogguss concert with Tim McGraw.

I went up there, belted out a song (I do not remember which one) and one not only one but two incredibly good seats since I won first prize ;)

I also have a first prize trophy from the only singing competition I went to in High School, a competition that I wasn't supposed to sing at, the song of which I learned on the way to Springfield.

I was born a singer... I just had too much stage fright to do it :)

You have an awesome weekend too Jules! xo

Anonymous said...

It must have been awesome. :) it warms the heart to see you like this :)

This is 47

In my acquired wisdom I've accepted: 1. That it's OK to admit I like girly things 2. That it's OK I didn't post this ON...