Monday, November 20, 2006

Connectedness & The gift of friendship

"Seeing beauty is about broadening our ability to recognize the interconnectedness of all manifestations of life and delighting in how the smells and sounds and tastes and sights that surround us conspire to draw us toward living fully." ~Oriah Mountain Dreamer
~*~
There is no hope or joy except in human relations. ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
~*~
Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile. ~Albert Einstein

~*~*~*~*~*~
I sit here now, typing this blog post while Aussie_Male is walking about my apartment. There is no greater feeling than having met a friend face to face. Today’s quotes are so apropos for the feeling of interconnectedness, reaching out to others, and helping others.

I’ve met quite a few people from the “online world” recently and since 2002. I’ve been lucky that those I have met have been of good character and in most cases, good moral fiber. I’m blessed for the connections I have made from a world of anonymity that supports indifference.

When being around others with love in my life, I fill with love and am able to get love back out to others. Being around Arandar two weeks ago, being around Aussie_male right now, and always being around or near (via visit or phone) Mrs. B in AZ, Mrs. Virgo, Kami, Shaun, Barbara, Sacred Suzie, Jules and so many others has been a HUGE source of inspiration for me. It’s what makes my day and gives me love to again, give out to others.

I know we all have our own lives and we lead them in the manner we see fit, but just taking the few moments each day as possible to interact even via this blog can really impart a sense of connection. Today and coming up on the American holiday of Thanksgiving, I am going to spend the week in meditation and prayer as I see fit, giving thanks for all those who’ve come across my path and especially for those who have remained a permanent part of it.

I give thanks today for each one of you. I give thanks every day for each one of you. I give thanks today for my life, for my health, for all the things that make this day sunny and beautiful. I give thanks to Jessie for opening my eyes and preparing me in a sense for my path. I give thanks for so many things it would be impossible to list them.

Right now at this very moment I am thankful for Aussie_male. Having met him online just 11 months ago, I was surprised when our friendship developed almost immediately, blossoming into such a beautiful dance of trust and camaraderie. Very quickly he moved into my heart becoming one of my most trusted confidantes who became a pillar of strength for me many times before my diagnosis and especially after my diagnosis. Our friendship is one born of permanence. True friendships are hard to find, I am blessed to have found it with him. He gave me a gift when he arrived, a most beautiful book of quotations, two of which are featured above. It was a lovely gift, as it is a lovely visit.

This, coupled with other such wonderful future visits, is indeed turning out to be a wonderful start to a warm holiday season.

~*~*~*~*~*~
DAILY INSPIRATION

Links That Last
Creating Community

Since the modern Western lifestyle can isolate us from one another, it is often difficult to forge meaningful connections. Self-protection and mistrust prevent us from reaching out to neighbors and peers, and we consequently feel like we don't truly belong anywhere. Yet creating community can be as simple as reaching out within our own neighborhoods. To form the bonds that eventually solidify into long-lasting friendships, we must first be willing to rise above the walls of suspicion and doubt dividing us from the individuals who inhabit our neighborhood, block, or our building. We are taught from childhood to fear those we do not know, but community is as much a part of survival as safety. When we take a proactive approach, we can harmoniously unite our neighbors and build a network of support that contributes to the well-being of all involved.

Your overtures of community needn't be complicated. If you are new to your neighborhood, sending letters of introduction to your closest neighbors can ensure that their curiosity about you is partly satisfied. Consider telling them a bit about yourself and how you plan to positively contribute to your locale, even if it is something as straightforward as planting attractive flowers in your window boxes. Or if others have recently moved in nearby, schedule some time to welcome them to the area. By doing so, you can calm any misgivings they have while demonstrating that your neighborhood is a nice place to live. It is much easier to meet people while outdoors, so try to take frequent strolls or sit on your stoop or porch if you have one. Say hello to people who pass by, and you will likely get to know your neighbors speedily. And one of the easiest ways to build a sense of community is to organize neighborhood projects and events that bring people together in service or in fun!

Even if you have little in common with your neighbors, your proximity to one another can offer a wonderful opportunity to pursue new friendships and working relationships. You may not see eye to eye on matters of spirituality, politics, or lifestyle issues, but each of you understands that community helps people feel connected. As you grow to know and then to like one another, the city or town where you reside will truly become your home.

~*~*~*~*~*~
WELL WISHES

I wish you a beautiful day of sun and love. May your friendships be bountiful, your hugs be warm, and your heart be free to soar. I offer you many warm digital hugs today. May they make you smile.


~*~*~*~*~*~
AND REMEMBER

Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence. ~Aristotle

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lovely to have Aussie Male in your home! A true friend is such a blessing...how fun to have met him in person. Wish I could have stopped by on my way home from Ohio, but alas, I could not :(

BTW - my mother had that Einstein quote posted on her refrigerator through all the years I was in high school!

Anonymous said...

AW I am glad that you are having a nice time, Cal (=.

I'll be thinking about you especially during the holidays! I hope that you have a nice Thanksgiving. <3 love you.

Anonymous said...

True friendships are very hard to find and when you find it, don't take it for granted (which I know you won't, LOL). I'm so glad you have that in your life and I am honoured to be your friend.

Anonymous said...

A HUGE thank you to you Muse for being such a kind a gracious hostess while I visited even though you still weren't well.

My only woe is that there's no Coldstone Creamery in Sydney. :-(

This is 47

In my acquired wisdom I've accepted: 1. That it's OK to admit I like girly things 2. That it's OK I didn't post this ON...