Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Fog and the Maiden

"There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." ~Edith Wharton

Perhaps it will seem to you that the sunshine is brighter and that everything has a new charm. At least, I believe this is always the result of a deep love, and it is a beautiful thing. And I believe people who think love prevents one from thinking clearly are wrong; for then one thinks very clearly and is more active than before. And love is something eternal--the aspect may change, but not the essence. There is the same difference in a person before and after he is in love as there is in an unlighted lamp and one that is burning. The lamp was there and it was a good lamp, but now it is shedding light too, and that is its real function. And love makes one calmer about many things, and in that way, one is more fit for one's work.” ~ Vincent van Gogh

"This above all: to thine own self be true." -Shakespeare- (submitted by Kelli @ Kelli’s Musings)

*****
It’s ironic, yesterday Kelli gave me some quotes, today not only do I pull one of hers, but I pull one that was just recently reminded to me by Beth. I received a silver bracelet in the mail from Beth not too long ago, and on it is stamped this phrase over and over again. I was so touched by that gift. Thank you Beth for the lovely gift and Kelli for the reminder of it today *smile*

*****
The fog greeted me today as I drove into work and it was so beautiful I just wanted to pull over and walk in it for a while. Instead I started to think of things I could write. And so in the tradition of my usual, I’ll post them here instead.




“…And so I stood the flower girl at the marriage of fantasy and reality, holding
my little basket of stars. Glowing brightly my face lit up in their wake I
stared amazed in rapture of their beauty. And when the time came, I did
walk slowly down the pathway of life, gently raining stardust down with my
little hand, scooping up stars and paving the way with light. Walking
through the fog aware that I was dreaming but knowing I was lighting the way to
my heart, my inner child smiled as she trembled in excitement, for her part in
my heart’s awakening.”

******************************************************************

My thanks to Celtic for reminding me just how much I loved this song "The Mystics Dream" by Loreena McKennit. Sorry I'm not as talented as him and can't get the song to play "IN" this blog entry :P. You'll just have to go to my "MYSPACE" page, it's on the front and plays there...


So there you go… a portion of what I had fleeting thoughts of this morning. If anyone were to ask what I wanted as a gift (among the multitude of things I already have on my Amazon list :P) I’d have to ask for a voice recorder, so that my thoughts as beautiful as they may be when first uttered, can actually be preserved. Because what is written above while I think it’s pretty is VERY different from what I first saw in my mind.

I have so much I want to say and not enough ways to say it all so for now I’ll end this blog with a few more of my favorite things…I hope you enjoy them

*****
This story incidentally is one I posted on my forums on Utopia Skye back in October 2004. There is a whole section there devoted to things such as these and it’s called Daily Messages. This story is partially responsible for my affirmations idea…

“One Thousand Marbles”
Jeffrey Davis

I'm a Ham radio operator and spend some time working with radios and electronics. So when I heard this story it really made me think! I hope that you will find some application in your own life as well...

A few weeks ago, I was shuffling toward the basement shack with a steaming cup of coffee in one hand and the morning paper in the other. What began as a typical Saturday morning, turned into one of those lessons that life seems to hand you from time to time. Let me tell you about it.

I turned the dial up into the phone portion of the band on my ham radio in order to listen to a Saturday morning swap net. Along the way, I came across an older sounding chap, with a tremendous signal and a golden voice. You know, the kind, he sounded like he should be in the broadcasting business. He was telling whomever he was talking with something about "a thousand marbles".

I was intrigued and stopped to listen to what he had to say. "Well, Tom, it sure sounds like you're busy with your job. I'm sure they pay you well but it's a shame you have to be away from home and your family so much. Hard to believe a young fellow should have to work sixty or seventy hours a week to make ends meet. Too bad you missed your daughter's dance recital."

He continued, "Let me tell you something, Tom, something that has helped me keep a good perspective on my own priorities." And that's when he began to explain his theory of "a thousand marbles."

"You see, I sat down one day and did a little arithmetic. The average person lives about seventy-five years. I know, some live more and some live less, but on average, folks live about seventy-five years."

"Now then, I multiplied 75 times 52 and I came up with 3,900, which is the number of Saturdays that the average person has in their entire lifetime. Now stick with me Tom, I'm getting to the important part."

"It took me until I was fifty-five years old to think about all this in any detail," he went on, "and by that time I had lived through over twenty-eight hundred Saturdays. I got to thinking that if I lived to be seventy-five, I only had about a thousand of them left to enjoy."

"So I went to a toy store and bought every single marble they had. I ended up having to visit three toy stores to round-up 1,000 marbles. I took them home and put them inside of a large, clear plastic container right here in the shack next to my gear. Every Saturday since then, I have taken one marble out and thrown it away."

"I found that by watching the marbles diminish, I focused more on the really important things in life. There is nothing like watching your time here on this earth run out to help get your priorities straight."

"Now let me tell you one last thing before I sign-off with you and take my lovely wife out for breakfast. This morning, I took the very last marble out of the container. I figure if I make it until next Saturday then I have been given a little extra time. And the one thing we can all use is a little more time."

"It was nice to meet you Tom, I hope you spend more time with your family, and I hope to meet you again."

You could have heard a pin drop on the radio when this fellow signed off. I guess he gave us all a lot to think about. I had planned to work on the antenna that morning, and then I was going to meet up with a few hams to work on the next club newsletter. Instead, I went upstairs and woke my wife up with a kiss.

"C'mon honey, I'm taking you and the kids to breakfast."

"What brought this on?" she asked with a smile.

"Oh, nothing special, it's just been a long time since we spent a Saturday together with the kids. Hey, can we stop at a toy store while we're out? I need to buy some marbles."

(By the way, I have 2132 Saturdays left as of this year... My philosophy was instead of marbles to use affirmations. So keep the submissions coming to me! I pull some everyday, but every Saturday I pull one as well and it serves to remind me of my priorities :)

*****
WELL WISHES

To Lisa: Thank you for reading my blog and posting. It always gives me a smile to see that folks enjoy what I write, even if it’s highly personal and mainly my daily drudgery :P Nonetheless, thank you for you today I wish you a smile or two or a thousand as well. May your day be bright and full of sun.

To Kelli: Thank you for the submission, I’m glad to have pulled one of yours today that was so memorable for me. I wish you a day of positivity.

To Dana: Thank you for being concerned for me yesterday. It is truly a good friend who can read between the lines of what may be posted ;) Today I wish you much love and peace. I’m grateful for you everyday.

To Beth: For the bracelet I see everyday, thank you. For your friendship thank you… I hope today you have a wonderful day and that you CONTINUE to know what real love and affection is like. I’m happy for you J

For Shaun: I’m so proud of you for being valedictorian. I feel almost like a proud parent. You are such a special person. Today I wish you the feeling of accomplishment and joy. That you know you have done well and earned a just reward for your efforts.

For Aussie_male: I was so happy to hear from you in email yesterday while you were at work! And continuing the “In my pants saga” while we chatted was sooooo fun. Today I wish you smiles all day long, may your coffee never come out your nose when you laugh at my HILARIOUS (riiiiight) antics. But truthfully may you feel the arms of me wrapped around you in a hug across the digital miles… and may it make you smile. Oh and for you… HARD CANDY! In my pants :P HAH!

For Mr. Quiet Strength: Today I wish you a day of peace and happiness. I haven’t heard from you lately but I do always hope you’re well. Know you’re thought of today

For Chris Delorenzo: I’m sorry to see you leaving the blogoshpere, but I understand completely your choice. Today I wish you the strength to continue to do what YOU need to do in your life; as well as the wisdom to understand that you’re doing the right thing based on what you know at the time you make the choice. Choosing is often hardest, so congratulations in being able to choose. I’m always here, and you know how to get me if you would like to keep in touch.

For the rest of you not specifically mentioned but always in my heart: I wish you a day of joy. May the sun warm your face, friends warm your heart, and thoughts of my affection for you warm your soul.

*****
AND REMEMBER:

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good." Author Unknown

No comments:

This is 47

In my acquired wisdom I've accepted: 1. That it's OK to admit I like girly things 2. That it's OK I didn't post this ON...