Friday, May 26, 2006

How much for that doggie in the window (A tribute to Mushu)

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. ~Josh Turner

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~ Author Unknown

*****

Well it's that time. As most of you avid readers of my blog remember, I made a post a while ago about how Mushu, my dog would be given away. I received a call yesterday from my mother who said she had the wonderful luck to come across a woman whose mother had recently lost her dog to old age and was looking for another. The usual questions were asked; Yes, they love dogs; Yes, they know she needs special care; Yes, they know she needs to be out a lot. Hearing this news made me sad deeply so in that I will lose the ability to be able to see my dog when I choose. I have come to grips with the fact that this is going to happen and it's for the best, but it still doesn't help to keep me from being sad.

For any animal lover out there, you know that no matter what others may say or do, your animals come first. I wish I had the ability to make this so for Mushu, but I can recognize that at least she will be happy and hopefully better off. Today's post is in tribute to Mushu, the dog I never thought I'd have who loved me more than some who had committed to me. Who showed me with a simple lick on my nose that I was her everything even when I had thought I was nothing. And who taught me in no uncertain terms that the king size bed was hers, with just a simple push of her paw.

*****

She came to us in November of 1998. We had been discussing getting a dog and were considering going to a breeder for a special breed of dog. Four days after we moved into our brand new, freshly built, paint still wet townhouse, I went into a pet store with my friend.

There, I saw a beagle/basset mixed puppy looking at me. She had the prettiest eyes. Immediately I asked to play with her. In a matter of moments I knew not only because she was born on my birthday (9-21), but because she had touched me deeply, that I wanted this dog. I put her on the counter and announced that I wanted her.


As we stood there, mushu sitting on the counter, me waiting for the checkout woman, I realized... I didn't even have coverings in my house yet and here I was spending my money on a dog. I looked at this dog, and for 40 agonizing minutes had to decide to be responsible? or follow my heart? In the end I left the pet shop very saddened without my mushu.

I cried the ENTIRE night. Even my then husband was amazed at how sad I was.

I made a deal with him and myself, once I got the blinds/window coverings, I was getting my dog. The very next day I spent getting window coverings and scheduling installations. That experience is a whole other story ;) But all I cared about was I was getting my dog!.

I brought home an 8 week old puppy and began to learn all about the love of a dog. I had dogs all my life. My mother and my grandmother had kennelled dogs at one point...show dogs at that. So I was no stranger to dogs. however this one was different, this was MY dog. I had bought her, I had painstakingly trained her, and I had learned who was bos through her... she was ;)

Over the years we and many friends who came over grew to love Mushu, it was nearly impossible not to do so. As many dog lovers and animal lovers will attest to, she became our child. She was sweet, wild, innocent, daring, and so loving.

When things in our marriage were going downhill, mushu was there to love me. She would play with me, laugh with me as only dogs do, and bring a smile to my face even when I was in tears. Who doesn't have an awesome story of their dog? I have many...

She had this way of looking innocent even as she was totally busted for being wrong. And truthfully, how could you be mad at a face like that?

There are so many things I could say about Mushu, the dog I never thought I'd have. But in the end, what I have to say today is simply, I love you Mushu. I love you for loving me when I needed it the most, for knowing when a lick on the nose was the perfect comfort, or where to strategically place your paw so as to tell me that 3/4 of the king size bed wasn't enough and I should just move into the corner. (Yes, I did move too :P).

I hope she'll understand why I can't come see her today, why that would just break my heart, but that instead I offer her this tribute of love in images and words that are captive inside me. I hope she'll be happy and that truly this will be the best thing for her. I hope these people are truly good because if I find out otherwise... I just wouldn't know what to do.

I hope she knows even if she forgets me per se and even though I'm not there to remind her in person, just how much I love her and that she will always be my special angel... My mushu

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to read this. I offer you what comfort i can

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry about your Mushu. I remember talking to Mushu on the phone. lol, she licked the phone :P So cute. Love that last picture hon, it seems like a great time for you.



Mr. Uber

Anonymous said...

>huggles<
I know I can't lick you nose (it'd be weird)...but I'm here for you, Muse. And I can kick you out of a king-sized bed (don't think I can't) so that's like half the battle, right? :D

This is 47

In my acquired wisdom I've accepted: 1. That it's OK to admit I like girly things 2. That it's OK I didn't post this ON...