Monday, September 18, 2006

I've signed my first born away...*long post*

Well the decision has been made. There will be many tears. But it's been made.

I've decided to have the hysterectomy including the removal of my ovaries as well. It was a hard choice for me. Apparently i've been harboring some secret desires that maybe just maybe I would get lucky enough to find a partner who I would want to share the joy of giving life with... I had no idea that I felt this way, but as I signed the consent forms today I cried. The tears slipped forth from my eyes silently without the gasping racking sobs I've become accustomed to.

My mother sat across from me and when she came near me I told her no, I just didn't want to be touched right then. I felt I had betrayed my own body, willfully signing them away.

I was very very sad and still am. But, there is some light to this day. And it's a very interesting story that I have to tell. So to keep a little bit of light in among the darkness that fans itself out covering everything I write anymore, I will tell you this story.

~*~

Once again I found myself sitting in the immense waiting room surrounded by magnificent glass architecture and sunlight rays streaming in. It's such a paradox that a place of such death (death of ovaries, death of cancer, death of people suffering) should have such light about it. The presence of death I've understood since childhood is reserved for the palor of the funeral homes tended to by creepy people who wallow in death. It has no place among such beautiful light.

But I digress...

I noticed a woman, a rather large african american woman sitting across the way from me. I remembered her from the last time I was there. There was nothing spectacular about her but I remembered her.

Next I knew they were calling my name, distracting me from watching her. i headed into the doctors office and after making my decision and speaking to a thousand people who all had something to tell me (none of which I retained as I was lost in a fog), I signed my organs away. Numbly, I walked out into the packed waiting room unaware of anyone around me, mindful only of the hot tears precariously perched among my lower eyelids. I think my mother was speaking to me about coffee or something, but I don't recollect. I just kept walking to the door needing to get outside.

When I arrived out there, two women sat on a bench waiting for their ride or the shuttle and one of them was this african american woman I noticed from before. My mother went to have a cigarette walking away from the cancer center leaving me with the valet ticket for the guy to get the car. Sitting among the woman as the man went to get the car, I heard this woman talking about my mother smoking to the other elderly woman. I looked at her, and said "I wish I could get her to quit." She looked back at me and said "I'm sorry baby, I didn't mean for you to hear..." and I cut her off saying no no, I really do wish I could get her to quit.

As it turns out this woman is here because her daughter may have ovarian cancer and this african american woman (the girls mother) smokes. She came outside to smoke "5 cigarettes because baby I can't deal with this... I just can't".

What I tell you is true. I have no idea what came over me.

I immediately reached over and put my hand on her arm and told her it was ok, that she would quit soon. She looked at me and without a thought let me into her life. It was such a sweet silent transition from stranger to friend that had I blinked I might have missed it. She related to me that she was a god fearing woman and that she was afraid to pray to god for his help in this. I could have said anything, I could have walked away but she gave me this IN to her life and I could NOT ignore it. So I did a most surprising thing. I put my hand on her arm again and told her that that kind of talk was just her fear, her addiction talking. I told her that God knew she couldn't do it on her own and that he would carry her until she could stand on her own and do it.

She just stared at me wide eyed.

I then related to her some tips of quitting smoking (which I did in 2001 successfully). She laughed over the idea that cinnamon would help stave off cravings and together we chuckled over the image of me whipping out a cinnamon container everytime I had a craving.

My mother came over and reminded me that the car was here now, so off I went to my car, but as I did I leaned down to her and said, "It's ok to be afraid, but ask for help, you'll be heard".

Sitting in the car, I was overwhelmed with the desire to give this woman something, ANYTHING of mine that would provide some comfort. I believe wholeheartedly in energy and transferrence of positivity and energy and I just *knew* i had to give this woman something. So I reached into my bag and withdrew one of the thank you cards I had especially made for folks who had contributed money to my cause. Without a word I left my mother in the car and walked back over to this woman whose name I didn't know and sat back down.

She looked at me and for 10-20 seconds we sat there side by side, the breeze rustling my hair and giving us peace. I looked at her turning towards her and explained that when I was diagnosed with cancer, people from all over had come together even for just one night to be a support to me in a time when the world felt like it was crumbling away under my feet. She put her hand on me and sympathized that I was so young to have cancer and I told her, "People should do things like that more often... should care more often." She agreed. I told her as I handed her the card taking both her hands in mine, that I had made these cards as a way to let the people who had touched me know, that I in turn wished to touch them as I was indeed touching her now. I wanted to let her know that she is cared for, loved, and that she was not alone.

I think there were tears in her eyes when she said to me "You are the sweetest person I've ever known" and I said "No, I'm not" and I smiled at her as I continued "I'm just what we CAN be to each other". I stood up and hugged her tightly telling her again that she was loved and to not be afraid, that help was out there. I told her I would pray for her and her daughter that whatever their trials they come through with flying colors. And then I did a very surprising thing, I kissed her cheek and said "You are loved". And without a second glance back I walked back to the waiting car where my mother pulled away with me sitting in the front seat amazed and what I had just done.

I have never been afraid (in my youth particularly) to approach strangers and touch them, sometimes hug them, sometimes just have the ability to say the right thing at the right time. It's a gift I've always had, but its been dormant for so long I had begun to wonder if it really existed.

Today, I felt it again. I felt that pull, and that compulsion to say or do something that just *may* have helped another tremendously. It is an amazing thing to touch someone's soul and see the light inside go on no matter if it's just a flicker. There just are no words for it.

I am sad today for my loss of life giving organs. I am sad today for a woman I do not even know who wants to better her health and take care of her daughter. I am sad for so many that go without that touch from a stranger that says I care. I'll cry more for my issues,I am sure, but right now, I am calm.

I wish that woman well. I truly hope whatever light she felt today stays with her and somehow helps her. Instead of praying for myself right now, I'm praying and lighting a candle for her. May her heart feel it and respond and may your heart feel it and respond too. Because I have enough for everyone; everyone who wants it, can have it... Because I love you all in my own special way.

xo
Muse

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't let your organs dictate your life so much. Biology is only one of many ways to be a mother. And it's the least reliable way too. Ask Kami, I'm sure she'll agree with me -- you've already been a mother, and you will continue to be one. Also, have you considered adoption? I can't think of anyone a child who's known such harsh conditions as most foster kids have should live with to heal and to grow than you.

Remember: parenting is about the child you raise with your heart, not the child you raise with your genes.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure my grammar was terrible in most of that last comment. I apologize if you're as confused as I am rereading that.

Anonymous said...

Cray is right. You've been a wonderful mother to us, even if not biologically. I can't imagine how you must have felt because even with Cray and I there is still something missing, but I do want you to know that we are here for you. Today I filled out a job application to a christian store and one of the questions asked "who or what has influenced you the most in your life and why?" and I wrote about you. I could have written about my mom or about music or about some other thing, but I didn't, I wrote about you. Cal I just hope that you know how much I look up to you... I love you so much and I want you to be okay both physically and mentally and everytime I think about it I just go on and on like this and my eyes get teary and then I spend an hour trying to fall asleep because my mind is so crammed with ideas and important things... but that is okay. Instead I'll be taking that time and praying for you... with you, and thinking about how fortunate I am to know such an amazing woman. Your story in this post about how you talked to that lady while waiting for your car moved me and brought a smile to my face... you are such a wonderful person, Calliope. I want you to have a nice week... I know that is hard after today, but please Cal, try to. Try to let the light that others are offering help keep your light shining. And now I'm off to light a few candles <3.
I love you.
Kami

Suzie Ridler said...

You did the most amazing thing for that woman! You really saw her, you saw through her fear, you made her feel loved. What greater gift is there? While you're struggling with your own pain, loss and sadness, you were able to give to another soul.

I don't know exactly why it happens but when health is taken away from us that is when our spirits really grow. What you did was a great blessing.

Thank you for your kind words about my friend, I really, really appreciate it.

This is 47

In my acquired wisdom I've accepted: 1. That it's OK to admit I like girly things 2. That it's OK I didn't post this ON...