Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Voice of a Child (for my Poetry Thursday Post: Just be You)

The Voice of a Child

I speak with the voice of age today
Yet see through the eyes of a child
Her inner spirit courses through me
Flexing her wings wanting to be free

Inside my heart she plays with my memories
Skipping from one to the next
She amazes me with her imagination
But on days like today
She peers through my eyes watching life go by

She listens to my voice speak
Not understanding what I say
She writes herself a little letter
And hands it to me

The letter plucked from the voice of my heart says
…set me free.

©SKW

This letter is to my inner child who is as she has shown me, alive and well but wants to be free. Perhaps the next time it rains I can stomp around in a puddle for a bit ;) Or bake some cookies and make a horrible mess as I do. But I do think after 35 years, she deserves some attention and most definitely a big hug.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! I loved your poem and you toughts, more of us need to listen to our inner child voice, I know we would smile and laugh more if we did...thanks

Cassiopeia Rises said...

Happy Birthday my dear. If we all let out our inner child, the World would be a different place. A place where our tears could still be calmed by hugs and smiles are every ready. Would that it were so.


love,bd

Suzie Ridler said...

Happy Birthday to you and your inner child today. It sounds like you're reconnecting which is lovely. I adore that she can write you letters, she is so smart!

We almost have the same initials, mine are: SKR!

gkgirl said...

i love this poem...
so sweet and so true.
and happy birthday
as well
:)

Tammy Brierly said...

Beautiful and sweet :) Let her out to play!

This is 47

In my acquired wisdom I've accepted: 1. That it's OK to admit I like girly things 2. That it's OK I didn't post this ON...